Search This Blog

Sunday, May 1, 2011

Daring Baker's Challenge - Maple Mousse Tart


The April 2011 Daring Bakers’ challenge was hosted by Evelyne of the blog Cheap Ethnic Eatz. Evelyne chose to challenge everyone to make a maple mousse in an edible container. Prizes are being awarded to the most creative edible container and filling, so vote on your favorite from April 27th to May 27th at http://thedaringkitchen.com!

As you might have guessed, Evelyne came from Canada, the land of maple syrup and my favourite breakfast dish, pancake with maple syrup and crispy bacon (what a great way to start the day, sweet and savoury at the same time). Her proposed dish was maple mousse served in crispy bacon, very interesting. Though, I would love to know how the mouse would taste like with the crispy bacon. I didn't follow the idea.

Inspired by my new book, “Chocolat: The Chocolate Bible by Le Cordon Bleu”, I intended to make chocolate cup from tempered chocolate to fill the mousse in. It was my first time making the chocolate container and tempering chocolate. Umm, it wasn’t easy. Tempering chocolate wasn’t too bad. But I had trouble taking the chocolate cup out of the mould in one piece. They were broken into pieces.


Failed attempt at tempering chocolate! Need more practices...


The first contingency plan I could think of was maple mousse tart. I used the tart pie dough recipe from Michel Roux's Pastry cookbook. That recipe never dissappoints, always works like a charm. I used the broken chocolate pieces to garnish the tart together with crushed peanut praline. 

Though this was not what I had planned but I was quite happy with the  presentation. It looked elegant and the maple mousse was truly delicious. The maple mousse recipe is a keeper.



Recipes are in the links below:

No comments:

Post a Comment