Search This Blog

Saturday, October 9, 2010

Lavender Macarons

I have a confession to make...

I am a macaron addict....I need to have at least one everyday. I am obsessed and consumed with the thoughts of my next macaron concoctions. So many flavours to try, so little time.....

My recent macaron concoction is Lavender Macarons.



Actually, I was aiming to have purple color shell, but was too heavy-handed with my blue colour...so the shell turn out all blue, not even a hint of red!!!
 It started with me bringing rosewater macarons to work. My workmate then offered to bring in her edible lavender for me try...given that they're sort of same floral category....and how can I say no to that. I love lavender and always want to try cooking/baking with them, plus I'm having my secret project in mind, a lavender icecream.

Back to our lavender macaron recipe....the macaron shell recipe is the same as in my previous blog (http://youcandoitathome.blogspot.com/2010/10/i-heart-macarons.html)

Beware with the colouring though. Unless you, somehow, like your macarons blue like mine, you have to be very very careful with blue colouring liquid/powder. Remember this, a little of BLUE goes a very long way. It might be a good idea to start off your colouring with red first, then mix in a little of the blue (red + blue = purple).



My house smell so aromatic when these little beauties were baked...maybe because I sprinkled a bit of the lavender buds on top of the shells.
 For lavender white chocolate ganache (macaron filling), here's the recipe....

100g  white chocolate, chopped
80ml   thickened cream (35% fat content)
20g      butter, chopped 
1 tablespoon  lavender bud
some red and blue colouring

METHOD
  1. Mix lavender bud with cream in a small saucepan.
  2. Heat cream mixture over medium high heat until it just comes to the boil.
  3. Let the lavender steep in the warm cream for about 10 mins.
  4. Reheat the lavender cream to just come to the boil.
  5. Take off the heat and put the lavender cream through a strainer. 
  6. Mix lavender cream into white chocolate and stir to combine until the chocolate is melted.
  7. Mix the butter in and stir until they're all melted.
  8. Mix the red and blue colouring in until you achieve a light purple colour, maybe 4 drops of red and two drops of blue.
  9. Chill the lavender ganache until needed. It's best for ganache to be well-chilled before spreading into macarons.


There you have it....the dual purpose dessert...to satisfy your tastebud and mind...it's aromatherapy macarons. It tastes really subtle, very nice and aromatic....something very different..and it has become one of favourite.




Fancy a bite?
 

No comments:

Post a Comment